NIIC Coordination Assistant Consultant Description
CASA de Maryland Synopsis:
CASA de Maryland is a is a nonprofit organization that is exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and educational organization which its mission is to create a more just society by building power and improving the quality of life in low-income immigrant communities. Our vision is for a future with diverse and thriving communities living free from discrimination and fear, working together with mutual respect to achieve full human rights for all. It undertakes critical services for the low-income immigrant community including employment, training, legal and health prevention and education as well as grassroots organizing and limited amount of lobbying.
The Politics and Communications Department provides advocacy, lobbying, elections, and communications support to CASA de Maryland and CASA in Action to build power for Latino and immigrant communities.
Position Synopsis: CASA seeks a bright, motivated intern to join our program. This position is designed to provide a variety of support functions for the National Immigrant Integration Conference, to be held September 22nd – 25th 2012. The start date will be on May 15th part-time (20 hours per week) transitioning on August 15th into full-time (40 hours per week) and ending October 15th.
Department / Program: The Politics and Communications Department
CASA Site: 8151 15th Avenue, Langley Park, MD 20783
Hours: Start date May 15th part-time (20 hours per week) transitioning on August 15th into full-time (40 hours per week) and ending October 15th.
Direct Supervisor: Advocacy & Elections Specialist
Salary: Paid Consultant, Consultant will receive a monthly stipend of $1,500 per month during part-time period (from May 15th to August 15th) and $3,000 per month during full-time period (from August 15th to October 15th).
Time Period: Start date May 15th part-time (20 hours per week) transitioning on August 15th into full-time (40 hours per week) and ending October 15th.
Critical Duties and Responsibilities:
• Support Conference Programming: including management of presenter and speaker outreach (drafting, emailing, tracking speaker correspondence, confirmation materials, and collecting biographies, and thank-you letters), collecting track and session descriptions from partner organizations and conference presenters.
• Maintaining Conference Communication and website updates: including monthly drafting and emailing announcements to listservs and networks, posting of conference content to website and social media pages), assisting with conference logistics through coordinating of conference programing planning calls, coordination of Advisory Committee conference calls, processing scholarship forms, tracking conference registrations.
• Conference planning experience
• Ability to take initiative and work independently and creatively with minimal supervision
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills
• Attention to detail and ability to follow oral and written instructions
• Strong work ethic and reliable follow- up ability
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
• Positive attitude, ability to work in teams
• Supportive of CASA’s mission.
CASA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, gender identity/expression or any other basis prohibited by statute.