CASA de Maryland Synopsis:
CASA de Maryland’s primary mission is to work with the community to improve the quality of life and fight for equal treatment and full access to resources and opportunities for low-income Latinos and their families. CASA works with other low-income immigrant communities, makes its programs and activities available to them, and joins with other organizations to advocate for social, political, and economic justice for all low-income communities.
Teach ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) class
Department / Program:
Eastern Middle School and Northwood High School.
Hourly employee, less than 19 hour per week. Temporary position with the potential for a contract renewal at the end of the 10-12 week session.
Monday to Thursday from 7 to 9 P.M. with some Fridays required
Sr. Manager of Education
$18 per hour+ prep-time. No benefits
- Create engaging and practical lesson plans for working adults and parents
- Teach functional English grammar and conversation skills to adult learners of diverse professional and educational backgrounds
- Evaluate student progress by monitoring student work, providing opportunities for conversation and administering quizzes and exams
- Record daily attendance
- Maintain consistent communication with ESOL instructor(s) of the same course level so as to ensure that all CASA students receive the same high level of language instruction
- Participate in periodic teachers meetings and trainings as scheduled
- Administer the BEST Plus oral assessment pre and post test at the beginning and end of each semester
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor related to the position
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of one year experience in adult education and/or ESOL instruction.
- Excellent English skills, both spoken and written.
- Extremely punctual and able to meet programmatic deadlines
- Computer skills
- Comfortable working both independently and as part of a team
- Able to work with learners of various educational backgrounds and learning skills
- Flexible teaching style and ability to successfully execute a lesson plan that accommodates a variety of learning styles so as to ensure that all students progress at the same time.
- Able to demonstrate a high energy level and extreme patience when working with self-conscious learners.
- Respect for all cultures and a strong belief that everyone is highly capable of learning a second language.
CASA de Maryland, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or sexual orientation